Friday, September 9, 2011

Where were you on that day?


If you think back 10 years ago on September 11, 2001, where were you at just before 9:00 am? Were you at home drinking coffee at your kitchen table? Were you dropping off you kids at school, or just sitting down at your office desk to begin your new work day?
I was just getting out of bed, heavily pregnant with our first child, listening to the radio beside me. I turned on the T.V. and couldn't believe my eyes. Nothing registered at that moment...to me it was a freak accident that was shocking, yes, and all I could think about was those poor people on that plane. How scared they must have been to have the engine or whatever go out on that airplane. Immediately after that I realized all those people in the sky rise were involved too, not just those on the plane.

That's when the second plane hit the other tower. I watched it, live on CNN, staring with my mouth hanging open, and tears pouring down my face. I just knew something was wrong, something was definitely not right about the entire thing...this was no accident. Of course, I didn't know, as well as millions of other people, the extent of the evil I was seeing.
I called Mike, who was at the restaurant, and he hadn't heard yet. I told him to put on the radio, and described to him what I was seeing.
"It's just a horrible accident honey, don't worry about it". I'll never forget his words.

I feel connected to that day in a way that I don't really understand. Was it because I watched it happen? The confusion, the utter horror and terror at ground zero I saw on every one's faces? Or is it because I know that the world, as we knew it...the safeness we all felt in the daily routine of our lives...has been changed forever?
This kind of violence only ever happened overseas. Never on home soil, or any crimes being committed were never as much in the news as they are now. When we were kids all we had to worry about was being home before supper, what we were doing on the weekend, and which friend was coming over after school that day. Now my kids have to worry about terrorism, racism, war, and impending disease. All the while we are constantly having to reassure them that these things are not for them to worry about.

That is what 9/11 means to me. That is how it has changed our lives; the war will never truly be over. Most turn their cheek...you think it didn't happen to you, that it doesn't affect your life. Doesn't it? All we can do is adapt, live day to day and love each minute we have with each other. And have faith that good will triumph over evil. Love your neighbor, your family, your friends, your LIFE.

So I ask you all: Where were you?

No comments:

Post a Comment