Sunday, October 23, 2011

Honey Vanilla Pecan Granola


I noticed that Mike had written on the shopping list 'granola', and so, it being a lazy Sunday and all, I decided to surprise him with some home made granola.
The turn out was really tasty, and we couldn't wait to have some sprinkled on our fruit and yogurt...our usual night-time snack.
Granola is as personal to one's taste as making a batch of trail mix or nuts and bolts. I wanted to put ingredients in the granola that were savory rather than sweet, and still be healthy. This is what I threw in:

3 3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/4 cup grape seed oil
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla
1 cup cherry ocean breeze dried cranberries
1 cup Thompson raisins

Preheat oven to 375.
Mix all ingredients together, except the fruit.
Line baking sheet with foil and transfer mixture to pan.
Bake for 20 minutes...make sure you stir every 7 minutes or so, as I had to make a new batch due to my waiting for 10 minutes before stirring, which was a big mistake. :)
Cool completely, and then mix in the fruit.
Store in air tight container.

I bought some dried apricots but didn't add them in, although I'm sure they would be good in it also.
Next time I make a go I will add pumpkin seeds rather than sunflower, cashews, and dried apples.
The other upside to making the granola other than the nutritional boost to our yogurt obsession? The house smelled absolutely amazing for the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment