Friday, July 29, 2011

Big Bad Mosquitoes




Poor Charlie and her allergy to mosquitoes.

The first time I took her to emergency for her mosquito bite I was told there was no such thing.
I called him on that and went home to look it up on an allergy website. Yes, there are people allergic to mosquito bites, and some of them have quite severe ones too.
It wasn't until the second trip to emerg that for the same thing a week later that the doctor said to me, "yes, yes, definitely a reaction to the mosquito". Hmm, yes, I know, I thought.
So here we are, a month and a half later, and other than following advice on staying out of the mosquitoes (ya, right), staying covered up in the summer heat, and carrying Benadryl on me at all times, I'm at a loss as to what to do for her when she swells up so badly.
Today, after being bitten last night and having 4 goes of Benadryl already, she looks the worst I've ever seen her after a bite. I have been holding a bag of frozen corn in a baggie on it once in a while, but you can imagine how that goes with a 2 year old. The swollen area is very hot, and she wants to rub it. I am trying to keep her away from it...you know how much a bite itches after you discover it!
I'm hoping tomorrow it will look better and she'll be able to see out of it a bit. She's starting to get cranky at only being able to see out of one eye. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment