Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Peach Crisp


I think fall has come to settle in with us for good it seems.  The leaves are laying in dried up piles along the curbs.  Frost has threatened a time or two at night.  And fall fruits and vegetables are in abundance in the stores.  I picked up a huge box of peaches bigger than Mike's fist a few days ago, and set them by the back door until I had time to make something with them.  I debated on a few things, and besides snacking on them I made this great Peach Crisp today and I'll can the rest.  It was so yummy that I decided to give you the recipe for it; this time I remembered what I put in and how much (I love to bake and cook without measuring unfortunately).
So give it a go, and let me know how you liked it!


Ripened Peach Crisp

4 large ripe peaches, or 6-8 small/medium
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
sprinkle of vanilla
sprinkle of almond flavoring

Preheat 375.
Dip one peach at a time into boiling water for 20 seconds; skin will peel off easy.  Do to all peaches.  Remove pit and slice into buttered dish.  If you have extra ripe juicy peaches sprinkle some flour on top.  Sprinkle vanilla and almond flavoring on top with your thumb over the mouth of the bottle.
In a bowl mix together flour, oats, spices and sugars, salt and butter.  Cut into crumbs with a fork.
Spread evenly on top of peaches; don't pat down.

Bake for 30-40 minutes till bubbly.  Serve with low fat frozen yogurt (this makes up for the calorie intake, which is about 380 per 1/2 cup portion...without the frozen yogurt or icecream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment