Monday, May 9, 2011

A cup of soup and a good book

Amid my search and trial and errors in creating new and exciting recipes that equate into low Weight Watcher's points (long story, but yes I'm doing Weight Watchers), I have created a very delicious soup recipe I just have to pass on.
I started Weight Watcher's a week and a half ago, feeling depressed about my weight, wondering where the hell all the extra fat came from over the last 3 years. I surmised the unwanted pounds were a crappy bi product of motherhood. And, while some mommies look fab after 3, 4, or even 6 kids, it's just not in my genetic makeup to be like them. But I could lose at least 40 pounds, and the last 10 I know I'll have to either accept is never going to leave my body, or work like a mad man to get rid of it. That all-knowing 'spare tire'.
So I joined. And the first week I lost 7 lbs. Excited and interested in tracking my meals now, I read every article that they sent me, and read and learned the ins and outs of the website like I was reading the bible. And when I weighed in this past Sunday, I nervously peeked at the numbers between my feet: I lost another 8 lbs. In addition to the pounds, inches are falling away as well. I ran to my closet and dug out clothes that were better left way in the back, or up on the top shelf. They fit.
I knew that some pounds would come off fast, as the water weight is easiest to lose. But, jeepers I felt elated at knowing I lost 15 lbs, just by changing what I ate. I can still enjoy my snacks whenever I want, I just have to track them into my points tracker.
And while I won't say what I weighed when I started, I will say that I need to loose 5 more lbs to get to my milestone of losing 10% of my body weight...and 40 more to get to my goal weight. I don't know if I'll ever make it there, but being a size 4 or 6 (pre Jacelyn weight) would be fantastic. Unrealistic, maybe, but I'm gonna try!!

This soup, in a category of other negative-calorie soups, is hearty, filling, and loaded with vitamins and nutrients. Also, one serving is equal to three servings of vegetables!!
I love negative-calorie soups..they are so good for you and you can eat them whenever you want and not gain a pound!

Tomato Basil Veggie Soup
1 large can of tomatoes
2 cups of cauliflower
2 cups of broccoli
1 cup onion
1 cup celery
1 cup carrots
1 yellow pepper
3 tsp dried basil
2 tsp tarragon
1 tbsp chicken base

Saute veggies in one spray of olive oil for 10 mins.
Add tomatoes.
Cover veggies with water.
Add herbs and base.
Cook for half hour...I like my veggies a bit crisp, but just test to your liking.
Done.

Add in whatever you want for veggies...I like the Italian feel to this soup, but you can add mushrooms, cabbage, or even pre soaked navy beans.


Oh, yeah, and I'm going to Elton tomorrow. Yay!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the weight loss! I joined Weight Watchers too a couple of months ago. I wanted to try and get that extra baby weight off while I still had the added benefit of breastfeeding helping me. You get more points when you're breastfeeding! I lost 30 pounds the first time I did it, before I was pregnant with Abbey. This time I only had about 20 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight and after 12 weeks I've lost 12 lbs. The first 10 lbs came off really fast and the last couple have been a bit of a struggle. But it's entirely my own fault. I've been slacking off since Easter and not following as closely as I should. I'm in my skinny jeans though, so I can't complain. I only signed up for 3 months which will be done next week. I'm going to try on my own for a bit and see if I can take those last few pounds off myself. I find that just the act of writing down everything you eat really helps keep you on track.

    A couple of things I've done that have helped me (I have a HUGE sweet tooth) is buying the individual packets of Crystal Light. I know they're not that great for you because of the aspartame, but they have a few flavours that are sweetened with splenda and have added fiber. I drink a glass after meals when my body is wanting something sweet for dessert. I also make my own frozen yogurt and sweeten it with splenda for a treat. Raspberry and strawberry work really well.

    Hopefully those pounds keep falling off for you! Pulling up a pair of pants that haven't fit in forever and being able to button them up is one of the greatest feelings ever.

    And have fun at Elton John! My mom and sister are going too, I'm super jealous of all of you!

    ReplyDelete